Saturday, May 29, 2010

Movie Review Sex in the City 2

Last night a bunch of us headed out for dinner and then off to the movies. Thankfully, everyone had bought their movie tickets early as when we got to the theater at 9:15 PM the movie was already sold out (start time 9:45).

So over all it was a great evening, not often that a bunch of women can get out together. Some off us were extra fortunate as our husbands and kids are away for this weekend! We had reservations for 7:00 PM at East Side Mario's and I had been very firm with everyone about punctuality through multiple emails. It worked, everyone was on time but one person. Shame on her but I am going to forgive her cause it was ME! I was about 10 minutes late got a little carried away in the new School kitchen. I lost track of time while watching the former Principal and current Principal of the school try to set up and operate the new massive twin permanent coffee makers. They refused to read the manual, it didn't seem to matter how many times I would go to the manual and start reading out loud they continued to do their own thing. I finally left as one the principals ran down the school hall with a mop because they had water pouring out of the machine all over the floor. They couldn't seem to get it to stop. It will be interesting to see what the kitchen looks like on Monday.

Anyway, back to the movie. After dinner we headed over to the theater and went right in to get our seats. We needed 7 seats, I was a little surprised by how many people were already in the theater. Also very shocked at just how small the theater was. No wonder it was sold out. It took a little manoeuvring but we were able to get most of us sitting together. About 15 minutes before the movie started a women in a security uniform came in to the theater and just stood watching everyone. Then a male security guy joined her. The theater was filling up and you could hear much laughter and groups of women ready for a good time. Then three more security men came into the theater. Everybody started to look around wondering what they were looking for. At this time a women in the front row hollered "hey look we have pre-movie entertainment" All the women in the audience started laughing the security team got all embarrassed and then quickly left. Not sure what that was all about.

The movie finally started. I was excited and really looking forward to it. Remember in the first movie when it was over the entire audience started to clap and cheer. Well, this time around, well, lets say it was very quiet.

I felt at times I was watching a PBS tourism show on Abu Dhabi. The dialogue with the women didn't seem to flow and it didn't come across as natural. I understand they are all older, but at times, man oh man the camera was not forgiving. Also, one of the biggies with SITC franchise is the clothes. What was up with Carrie Bradshaw-Preston's clothes? Yuck!!! Within the movie there was a few subplots that could have been worked more and I think would have made a great movie. For example, the connection between Charlotte's dealing with the terrible two's and Carrie and Big celebrating their 2nd year of marriage. The characters we have watched and learned to love could have been used more. The whole Abu Dhabi thing, not sure what that was all about. Yes, it was nice to see Aidan but it could have been done in New York just as easily. I wondered during the movie if the making of SITC2 was funded by the city of Abu Dhabi. It just didn't work for me.

It was nice to see the ladies together again but perhaps the show has now officially run its course. The one thing I did like is they (writers, producers etc) didn't fall in to the typical trap and have Carrie and Big become parents. It is not something I can ever see happening with this fictional couple.

Two of the friends who watched the movie had never seen the show or first movie and they both enjoyed the movie. Everyone else who are long time fans all felt similar to me the movie was OK.

My recommendation would be if you are a fan and get a group of girlfriends together then go and have fun with your friends. Maybe go for coffee afterwards where you can all sit and laugh and "diss" the movie together. I would not recommend going with your husband (unless he is a fan) as it will drive him crazy.
I would give SITC2: 3 stars out of 5. SITC1, is a 5 star.

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Carolin! You took my idea for Monday's Bench Talk. I was just signing on to set it up when I saw you had already posted.

    I agree with you. As much as there were funny parts to the movie, many times I was uncomfortable with the disrespect shown to the people of Abu Dhabi. Whether we agree with their customs or not. We complain here when people want to continue the customs of the land of their birth. If it was done on purpose to make a point, I missed the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am following you from Friday Follow;-)

    Thanks

    Jeanette Huston
    http://www.mommyblessingsinsmallbundles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for saving so any seats for all of us Carolin. I would rate it at a maximum of 2 stars. I was disappointed with the movie, however, I do agree with the 5 stars for SITC1. I would imagine that dinner was better then the movie, I'm sorry that I missed it. My advice, wait and rent the movie when it comes our or skip it all together, you really won't be missing a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked it......I love the clothes, I loved the look, and I did like the story. It was different. I mean, I don't know anyone who has a lifestyle like those women but that's what makes it entertaining. Like who would really walk around all day in those beautiful high heeled shoes!!! I wish! Anyway..... some of the topics were very realistic, so it was an even mix of, over the top and real life. As for culture, I don't think any of it was disrespectful. I liked it and I think its a go see.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I love Louise. That two people can see the same thing but each see something totally different. I find this so very cool. Thanks for your comments and keep them coming.

    Cathy I didn't find it disrespectful, the SITC women where ignorant of the culture other then there own but not disrespectful. (Miranda tried) Because we live in such a multicultural city and we have a very large south Asian population perhaps to us we notice it more. I did find it a little ridicules that when the berka's were taken off the women were wearing designer clothes. You know how hot that would be. Wearing two full layers of clothes.

    Carolin

    ReplyDelete