Monday, June 14, 2010

Bench Talk: G8 and G20 summits

The summits are drawing near. There are news reports daily advising on new security practices and how they will inconvenience the public. What are your opinions regarding the upcoming summits? Are they really necessary? What actually is accomplished during the summits?
Because we live in the Toronto area (GTA) the G20 and G8 Summit is on the news continuously. If I wasn't going to be away anyway I would avoid the downtown core during the Summit time frame. A teacher at works wife works across from the convention centre where the G20 is being held and they have had to move there office up close to the airport for two weeks because of security purposes. The G8 is up in Muskoka so for most of us it doesn't mater.
I will be up working at the G8 this year and I understand security will be very tight I am not to worried as I haven't heard about much protesting happening up north. I think that might be one of the reasons they decided to have it up there.
I have spoke to many different people and haven't yet heard a positive thing about Toronto hosting the Summit. Most people are upset about the cost of it and they voice there concern that no real work happens. It is just a waist of taxpayers money. I happen to agree with this opinion. It seems to me to be just a big photo op for all and a make work project for others. Perhaps being there and seeing things first hand will change my opinion.

I am excited to have the opportunity to work at the G8 and am looking forward to learning new operational procedures, working on new equipment and being part of something that more then likely wont happen again for me. Oh and the $$ is good!
Do any of our American benchers even know there is a Summit coming up in a weeks time. We are so bombarded by American news but I don't think Canadian news is reported down there. Please comment and correct me if I am wrong.
(Sunshine) My biggest question about the summit, is why is Canada spending so much more money then other countries who have hosted it in the past? It may have something to do with the $2 million dollars that they have spent on the phony lake that they have built for the journalists. Apparently it is dressed with canoes and Muskoka chairs and changing scenery. This lake will be built on the CNE grounds not that far away from some pretty spectacular real lakes. What a joke. The estimated cost of the summits so far is about $1.2 billion dollars. That seems to be a very large expense especially considering the fact that the leaders are only meeting here for 18 hours. Who is giving approval for such ridiculous spending anyways?????????????

How will it affect me? Well Mr Sunshine will be extremely busy for the next few weeks, but, I suppose if it isn't the summit keeping him busy then it would be something else. I am sure, though that it would be pretty cool to be a part of it all as Carolin has said. Have a great time, Carolin. I hope that it will be a rewarding experience for you and everyone else involved. We look forward to hearing all about it when you return.

No comments:

Post a Comment