Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Real Canada

I finished reading a novel last night titled, "Two of a Kind by Mina Ford." The cover of the book said it was funny (not), poignant (not really sure just what that means) and unforgettable (well, I hope it's forgettable).

The book is about two sisters (twins) who have drifted apart over the years. One lives in England and the other lives in Toronto. What caught my attention when looking for a book was the fact that one lived in Toronto. Wow, a book about my city, cool! Also, of course the book was marked down to $2.50. A book about my favourite city and it's cheap, can't go wrong there, can you?

I have never written a book but I have read thousands so I know a little about books. If a woman read this book (let's face it, it's a chicklit book, no guy is going to read it) she would get the impression that Canadians (Torontonians) love their coffee and donuts. That is true we are passionate about Tim Horten's for a great real cup of Joe with a maple glazed donut. But as far as I know nobody in Toronto or even Canada would ever buy a 'caramel macchiato' from Tim Horten's. Can you imagine someone waiting the 20 minutes in line to get to the counter and ask for a Caramel Macchiato, the cashier would look at them like they have two heads, Mr. John Deer wearing cap guy behind would scoff in scorn and the rest of us would look at you like you were some kinda freak. If you want good straight up coffee cheap, go to Tim Hortens. You want anything crazy go elsewere.

Later in the book they all head up to cottage country for a week. The sister from England loves it up in Muskoka. Of course who wouldn't, it is beautiful up there. But what she really enjoys is lying on the beach and watching the breeze rustle the leaves of the palm trees. That's right folks, palm trees. Either fictional characters from England can't tell a pine tree from a palm tree or this writer got a little mixed up and thought it got warmer the further you went north instead of south.

Now back in Toronto in the middle of July she talks about the heat and humidity but has one sister tell the other to make sure she brings a coat as the temperature plummets at night and it gets very cold. So all of you who complain that you can't sleep cause of the heat at night are just a bunch of fakers cause didn't you know it is flannel pj's at night in the middle of the summer!

Would I recommend this book? Well, if you have nothing to read and are not so into fiction that holds a little bit of facts - go for it but don't you dare get ripped off like me and pay $2.50 for it. Way too expensive, wait until you find it at a rummage sale for .25 a soft cover. Then go for it.

So, that book is done now it is time to start reading, "The Senators Wife," by Sue Miller. This is our latest book club read. So bloggers if anyone wants to join us head over to your local library and get a copy.

I know Cathy you have your copy, I have mine, Sunshine's is pending, I haven't heard from Louise so not sure if she has her copy yet.

Also benchers, I can't find my black fall coat. Have I left it at one of your houses?

1 comment:

  1. Well, this doesn't look likea book I will read! I am still laughing about the 'palm trees'. Now I could understand bringing along a jacket if I was out west in say, Calgary, for nighttime. But not for Toronto. When it's hot, hazy and humid, it's hot, hazy and humid all night long.

    Hey Carolin, should I start reading, "The Senator's wife" yet, or not? I guess we have to hope there are no holds on the book as we only have them for 3 weeks and I am on week two!

    ReplyDelete