Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Summer Garden Update








There are a few things I love about the month of August. First of all, I am usually on vacation! The weather in August is pretty typical: hot, hazy and humid. The humidity breaks with violent thunder storms which blow in and out just as fast. It's during the month of August that the garden is at it's fullest. The annuals in pots or in the garden have filled out with loads of colour. The vegetable garden is providing a fresh summer feast and the perennials have grown again. Summer garden chores consist of weeding and pruning and especially deadheading to prolong bloom. There is always something to do and gardening helps to keep you in shape with all of the bending and reaching, (another great side benefit!). Here are a few photos of my garden this summer. Enjoy!





7 comments:

  1. Cathy your garden is really showing the fruits of you labour. Great job as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is wonderful! I like the white flower what does it called? I just hope that all of your plants can survive the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rose!

    Thanks for stopping by our blog. The white flower is from a cactus. All of us ladies were given a piece of the cactus from Carolin. This cactus sprouts quite a few babies each season and the white flower is magnificent. Up close it looks like it's made out of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the cactus flower! It is really gorgeous and awesome. I agree on you that it looks like made out of paper. Your tomatoes are looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, Hi! The cactus flower is really neat. The cactus will flower a couple of times over the summer. It's neat to have a flowering cactus as we live north of the 49th. It winters well, also. I just bring in the pot and remember to give it water every once in a while. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden's tomatoes and peppers are doing great! Same with my garden! However, the tomatoes are starting to ripen so fast. The leaves and the fruits turn yellow so fast due to the weather. But the peppers can deal with it. Thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Isabella! We just finished a dinner with roasted peppers from our garden and fresh tomatoes. I'm now thinking of letting the veggies ripen so I can harvest seed for next season. I think I'm going to try to grow lettuce inside under lights this winter!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete