Monday, June 25, 2012

Keeping in Touch

(Cathy) Hi all! How is everyone? This past week's weather has been amazing! I love it! (I did finally turn on the air conditioning for the men in this family who cannot sleep with the high heat and humidity) My garden is doing so well. Hey Carolin, the famous irises from me to you to me finally flowered this year. Guess what colour..... you got it.....yellow! The name of this particular iris is, " Iris Florentina". Aren't your Iris's always a different colour ever year?  I purchased it at Richter's in Goodwood, ON. Richter's is a garden nursery that specializes in herbs of all kinds. Click on the link above to see their web site. I love this place! I haven't been in a while because they always have a booth at the garden shows I attend. It's a nice drive.  (carolin) Have you ordered anything from them online?  I am interested in the Stevia seed packs. I think I have met the owner years ago while working for a photographer.  Caroline, you have had so many interesting jobs.  You are one of those people who never stops doing new and interesting things.  I didn't even know that you could buy a stevia plant.

 So, back to the iris. I purchased it as I was into making my own potpourri with flowers and seeds from my own garden. The root of the Iris Florentina is called, "orris root". Orris root when dried and ground up is used as a "fixative" for scents. In other words, it helps the scent last longer. So, mom and I would dry our flowers and seeds and then mix them with a few drops of whatever "essential oils" we chose. After, we would lightly dust our mixture with the dried orris root powder. It was a fun way to use our garden. We used to have old window screens supported on chairs in the basement. This was our drying factory. It took up a lot of space but it was a fun time. I haven't made pot pourri in a long time. I still have some essential oils and ground up orris root powder. Hmmmm....  Hmmm is right, you lost me on Orris Root, I don't know what you are rambling about. (Sunshine)  I am so lost, I thought that I was reading someone else's blog.


O.K., I think I have taken up a lot of space. Ladies, what have you been up to? It has been my first week of summer vacation.  I did alot of errands, and running around.  The little one finished school on Friday (22).  Grade six is behind us :)  . 

I went to the movies last night and saw Snow White and the Huntsman.  It was not bad as a story line.  I am not much of a fan of Kristen Stewart (her character style is the same as in Twilight).  It got a little long or maybe it felt that way cause I had to pee but was so cold I was afraid to move.  Why do movie theaters have the air conditioning so low.  I had a sweater on but my nose was frozed.  We saw the movie Brave on the weekend.  It was ok.  The story line started our really good but we all kind of lost interest in the middle and then the ending was better.  It reminded me of the Brother Bear Movie. 

I have been planning a Canada Day menu for 30 people on and off today.  The client wants the same as last year but different! 

This is the last week of school for :Little Miss Sunshine, and Miss Teen Sunshine starts work full time this week.  I am working all weekend.  I think that it is going to be a very different summer this year.  We will have to see how it all works our.  It is now four weeks until the knew deck goes in.  This coming week is a busy one.  Lot of running around and work.  I actually think that this week I may be logging in more hour then Mr Sunshine.




Enjoy your week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. It was not bad as a story line. I am not much of a fan of Kristen Stewart (her character style is the same as in Twilight).

    Keeping In Touch

    ReplyDelete